FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile    You have no new messagesYou have no new messages    Log out [ Messian Dread ]Log out [ Messian Dread ] 

When Will The Christafari FAQ Be Updated With Propper Info?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lion of Zion Forum Index -> Rasta and Ganja Reasoning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Christafari is not interested in updating their info because what is written now suits them better
yes
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
no
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I don't know
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author Message
Irie-in-Christ
Forum Veteran


Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Posts: 100
Location: Abcoude (near Amsterdam)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2004 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks aaronjudah and Jonagus for explaining what you think is wrong with the FAQ answers about Rasta.

If I understand you correctly, aaronjudah, what's wrong with it, according to you , is that it overlooks certain 'houses' (as Jetze likes to call it) within rastafarianism, and secondly that the symbolism used is not fully explained. And then people might use symbols in arrogance or ignorence.

I agree with you that rastafarianism holds different 'houses', and that there is a danger of giving an incomplete picture of what different rasta's believe.
About the symbols, I more agree with Jonagus. I think he makes a good point. I just watched Luciano in San Francisco on DVD. Talking about symbols. The cross he has is not a real cross, but an anx: a religious symbol from Egypt, Africa. According to my bible (and that of Luciano I guess) this is not something that Jah is pleased with! I didn't hear him explain this symbol, though.
Jonagus is right when he claims that rasta has its roots in christianity and Judaism. So I really don't think LOZ needs to explain more about these symbols.

So what I think is that the only thing that might be good to do, is that LOZ will tell more about the different houses within rastafarianism, or give a link to places where people can learn about this.
_________________
Bless!
Jochem

http://www.byss.org/

'Ain't no high like the Most High!'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Irie-in-Christ
Forum Veteran


Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Posts: 100
Location: Abcoude (near Amsterdam)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2004 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, when you read the FAQ for example about the difference between rasta's and christians I think Mark doesn't do it so badly! He starts by telling that it is not easy to give a short answer about this, because it's a complex thing. So maybe here he IS taking into account that there are different houses within rastafarianism.

Then he continues to tell what MOST rasta's believe, not what ALL rasta's believe. No problem here, I think.

But the mainpoint is this: this is the FAQ section. This means many people asked about rastafari and christianity. So because many people asked, this answer has been given. It is a short answer on a difficult matter. But I think it is a short but true and good answer. The idea of LOZ is not to give a thorough study about rastafarianism. That's not the idea here. But because many people ask, they gave an answer. And there is nothing wrong with this answer, I think.

So again my question is (also to Messian Dread): what exactly is wrong according to you, and what exactly needs to be updated at the FAQ????
_________________
Bless!
Jochem

http://www.byss.org/

'Ain't no high like the Most High!'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
warthog
Forum Veteran


Joined: 19 Jun 2004
Posts: 197

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2004 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

irie-in-christ wrote:

About the symbols, I more agree with Jonagus. I think he makes a good point. I just watched Luciano in San Francisco on DVD. Talking about symbols. The cross he has is not a real cross, but an anx: a religious symbol from Egypt, Africa. According to my bible (and that of Luciano I guess) this is not something that Jah is pleased with

I guess JAH aint pleased either of people( x-ristians ) using his name in vain. Up to now, no one has clearly proven how the exact yeshuah cross looked like. Though we now know how jesus(geezus) cross looks like !![/list]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonaGus
Forum Veteran


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 486
Location: Alexandria

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2004 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

warthog wrote:
Up to now, no one has clearly proven how the exact yeshuah cross looked like. Though we now know how jesus(geezus) cross looks like !!


Warthog, is your point that the cross may have looked like an ankh and that no one should assume it didn't?

If I understand you right, and that is what you're saying, it is a fair point that there is no actual description of it (though I doubt the Romans bothered putting a loop at the top). It probably looked like a T or t or part of a larger scaffold, since those were the dominant Roman styles (and the simplest/cheapest to construct). There had to be places for Y'shua to be nailed, and some way of affixing the sign above his head, but apart from that, we can only speculate based on early artistic depictions and archaeology.

As for Luciano wearing an ankh, it is an Egyptian hieroglyphic character related to the word "life." In ancient Egyptian funerary art, the gods offer an ankh to the entombed person to signify that the afterlife is a divine gift.

Inasmuch as the ankh means "life," I would not complain of any Christian or Rasta wearing one: both religions value life highly! We also believe that eternal life is a divine gift, though we believe it is a gift of YHWH/Jah/God rather than the gods of the Egyptian pantheon. In this sense, I do not find the ankh objectionable. It's more cross-like than the Thor's hammer, which many medieval Scandanavian crosses resembled.

It is interesting that the ankh resembles some forms of the chi-rho, too. (The chi-rho combines the first two letters of Christ, which look like XP in our alphabet. The most common form looks a bit like an ankh, because it looks like a P with a horizontal slash through the middle.)
_________________
Do you remember when they crucified the Christ? There was someone on the left and someone on the right. They were both thieves! It's the same for ideologies. —Berhane Selassie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blaminack
Moderator


Joined: 15 Nov 2001
Posts: 1927
Location: Panama City Fl

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004 04:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a "tone" the problem? Is the idea that some Rastas need to have the Real Christ the problem? Is the idea that ANY need Christ the problem? Is the idea that some one needs to witness to Rastas the problem? The Christian Church has missionaries that go to evangelize IN the Churches! Why? Because not every one has the REAL Christ. An Evangelists in most places don't go about preaching to the lost of the World but the lost of the Church. So the idea of witnessing to Rastas doesn't seem out of place when we have folks "witnessing" to the Church.

What is totally lost in this all is the point of the message. We have gotten so far from the message of love that is behind the purpose of the music in the first place. Is LOZ off base in the approach? Many would think so. Is there need for refinement? I think that could be said of us all. But the whole entire motivation is not to offend, or even "teach" what a Rasta is. It is not to make Rastas feel persecuted. THE WHOLE POINT AND IDEA OF IT ALL IS TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE HEAR THE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL. Can we really just get back to that?

Jetze, I am truly sorry for all of the confusion, I apologize for my part. I do think that you would agree with me in that you just want to see men come to salvation in Christ. Can we both get to that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mikeroots
Forum Veteran


Joined: 13 Nov 2001
Posts: 826
Location: Torrington, CT USA

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004 05:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonaGus wrote:
aaronjudah wrote:
Mark Mohr wrote:
one of the regrettable fruits of my labor, (due to uneducated imitation by other artists) is the Christian church becoming more rasta. This was never my intention. It was not my desire to have a Christian congregation in Trinidad shouting out the name "JAH!" in their church services.


This is a Mark Mohr quote that I feel validates my position as far as cultural symbolism is concerned.


This passage does show that you and Mohr agree to some extent, but I disagree with both of you. Since "Jah" is a biblical name for God and therefore common to Jews, Christians, Rastas, and any other groups who incorporate the Hebrew Scriptures into their religious beliefs, I don't think there's anything wrong with Christians shouting "Jah." Christians have no less claim on the name Jah for God than Rastas have on Lion of Judah images.

Use of the term "Jah" would only make a Christian church "more Rasta" if the term was not biblical but exclusive to Rastas. Since it is biblical and not exclusive to Rastas, its use doesn't make anything "more Rasta."


Well said JonaGus- I agree. As a matter of fact I think it would be great if we used not only JAH but other names of the Most High God such as Yahweh, Yah, Jehovah and Yeshua, Yahoshua, Yeshu and Jesu. I think instead of refraining from using the name JAH, we should encourage its usage along with other biblical names rather than just saying "God" as if that was His name. This topic has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but it is good to come up again. I don't think Christians should not use the name Jehovah because of the JW's group. Lets work to preserve and utilize the biblical names of our Almighty God within our churches and in society as well.
_________________
LION OF JUDAH SOUNDS: REGGAE RADIO INTERNATIONAL INNA CHRISTIAN STYLEE!!
www.live365.com/stations/78897
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
coolpoete
Forum Veteran


Joined: 14 Jul 2002
Posts: 319
Location: From St. Maarten, living in Alabama

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004 05:56    Post subject: Dogma Reply with quote

A couple of issues I see with this wrong vs right issue thing is that first of all we are dealing with just that: what's wrong vs. what's right. Then there is the issue of "Well now that Mark has updated the FAQ, he is still wrong...." It becomes a never-ending cycle as people change, and God changes people's hearts and beliefs as they grow in him. Personally I would rather see a record of how I used to think and be able to reflect on "where I am now", so perhaps it would be a good idea to give an update on the FAQ's.

I can also forsee people taking the FAQ's as dogma in application to both beliefs. I think that when this whole LOZ website was founded and this discussion board placed it served the purpose of "continuing the story" that is to say, well not all rasta's believe... and not all Christians believe.... so let's come together and reason. The fact is that obviously we don't all agree and really shouldn't as we are all individuals with our own opinions. The FAQ's in my opinion does needs some tweaking but you can't please everyone.

A better idea would be to write a book or an extended web essay and I believe that Mark was planning a book at one time, I asked him about it a few years back but I don't think it was at the forefront of his agenda.

[To Messian:]
Either way, Jezte I can understand the frustration but it's not neccessary to depend on this website or Mark's opinion about Rasta/Christianity. From your writings it seems as though you are taking it more seriously than it needs to be, and I know your quest for justice knowlege and truth continues as it should but when you boil the water down on this particular issue you are left with interpretation.
_________________
Enter the mind of the CoolPoet
http://www.geocities.com/coolpoete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikeroots
Forum Veteran


Joined: 13 Nov 2001
Posts: 826
Location: Torrington, CT USA

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2004 06:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolPoet I think you make a good point. The info in the FAQ's was most likely a snapshot of where Mark Mohr's thoughts were at that time in regards to his experiences and knowledge. I would say perhaps 10 or 14 years ago, perhaps the majority would have agreed with the generalizations made. The passage of time, the move of JAH's Spirit and the advent of the internet (not necessarily in that order!) have done much to change the definition of Rasta to encompass a much broader spectrum, including those who are saved by the blood of the Lamb though they embrace certain cultural elements.
_________________
LION OF JUDAH SOUNDS: REGGAE RADIO INTERNATIONAL INNA CHRISTIAN STYLEE!!
www.live365.com/stations/78897
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lion of Zion Forum Index -> Rasta and Ganja Reasoning All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15
Stop watching this topic
 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.8 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group